The IRS will send millions of correspondence for different reasons. We wanted to share some information we received about what you should do when you receive a letter from the IRS.
- Don’t Panic! Responding will take care of any issues.
- Read Carefully: There can be many reasons for receiving a letter from the IRS. Most deal with tax returns or accounts. The letter will provide specific instructions and details about what to do so it is important to read the letter carefully and more than once.
- Is the letter asking for something? It might be about changes to your account, taxes owed, or a payment request. Sometimes, they may ask for more information on the issue discussed.
- Is it about changes to a return? If the letter indicates a change or correction to your tax return, review the changes and compare it with your original return (You should always have your own copy).
- Is a reply necessary? There is no need for a reply unless instructed, or if you need to make a payment.
- Don’t agree with your notice? Respond! There is a contact stub at the bottom of each letter so you may respond and explain why you disagree. Be sure to include any supporting documents for the IRS and allow up to 30 days for a response. Always send this type of correspondence certified and keep copies of everything you send.
- No appointments necessary: If you need to call, use the phone number that is on the upper right hand corner of the notice. Have your tax return and notice in hand for reference.
- Keep Records! Always keep copies of any notices that you receive along with your tax records.
- Be aware of scams: The IRS will never send you an e-mail or contact your through social media and ask for financial information. They will never demand a specific form of payment such as a prepaid card. For information on payment options, click here.
Business Resource Partners has been happy to serve you this tax season and we look forward to 2017! We have our Enrolled Agent on staff who will directly represent you to the IRS and assist in tax planning for you and your business. We offer more than just bookkeeping and taxes for your business! For a complete list of our services, please visit our Services page.
Our sister company, Almond Street Business Center offers a variety of services for your company as well. You may also click any of the links below for more information.